Friday, April 22, 2011

Small goodwill haul and cheap project

Hi everyone,

I went to Goodwill today with my hubby. 

goodwill haul

Round box: $0.99
Square box: $0.59
Square and round coasters/beer mats: $0.59
Beads and string: $0.99

The boxes will be great for altering.  I think I might be able to scrape the bird and wreath off the top of the round box.  If not I might be able to use gesso to cover it up.  I don't have gesso but I can get some if I decide to do that. :)  I bet Les has something in the workshop if I decide to do that.  We'll see.  I really don't have a plan for the box yet.  When I got home I noticed that the square box had a clearance sticker on the bottom.  Whatever store this was sold in originally had it marked down to $0.47.  I paid more for it used at Goodwill! Funny.

The coasters will be used for mini scrapbooks or altered tile type projects.  The beads are all plastic faceted beads.  I can use them for all sorts of things.

Okay, now on to my project.

I made this decorative tile:

nail tile

The base is a piece of cereal box cut square.  I covered the box board with some of that pretty wrapping paper I bought at Ace recently.  The flowers were given to me in the altered box of chocolates I received from Hazel.  On the left there are three dots that look a little like flat back pearls.  They are not.  They are drops of hot glue covered in perfect pearls.

The square that is the focal point of the tile was fun to make.  I cut a piece of cardstock and covered it with a good layer of Aleene's tacky glue.  Then I covered it with nails.  They are nails My husband pulled out of the boards in the closet when he put my shelves in.  Instead of throwing the nails out I wanted to use them for something.  After placing all of the nails in the glue I sprinkled some glitter all over it.  Once the glue dried I tapped off the excess glitter.  The glitter I used is called Seashore Beads.  I think it came from Club Scrap several years ago.  It's like tiny beads with some glitter mixed in.  The brown ribbon was given to me by a fellow Raveler. 

I'm happy with the finished project.  What do you think?

If anyone has any ideas for any of my Goodwill finds feel free to leave me comments.  I LOVE comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment